Friday, December 7, 2012

Cisco UCS Boot from SAN


Came into and issue when configuring Cisco UCS boot from San option and vSphere 5.1. I had already installed and setup the Initiators (2 HBA's) and storage group and attached the 5GB LUN. I installed vSphere and the server booted fine.  The issue became apparent when I wanted to attach the server datastores that are shared among the other esxi hosts.This happened because vSphere automatically registered itself with Unisphere.

The problem is I need 2 storage groups in Unisphere. One for the boot LUN and another for the data LUN's. The issue I came across was vSphere would register all 4 HBA's as one host, what is great except the host needs to have its own boot LUN and this is not something that can be shared among multiple hosts.

First create a 5GB LUN and create a single Storage group and assign this the LUN. I called it esxprdXX-Boot.

Then I applied this VMware Fix to the host then powered down the host. In Unisphere I entered engineering mode Ctrl+Shift+F12 pw=messner and removed the host from any storage groups and De register the host.

Power back on the server and go back to Unisphere. 2 HBA's should turn up as UNKNOWN. I registered both as hostname-Boot and gave it a IP (Not a true IP as its not going to be used) I gave mine 1.1.1.1

Make sure you register all paths, and then add the hostname-boot to the esxprdXX-Boot storage group. This give the LUN back to the server so it is able to boot. Restart the server.

Once the host is up the other 2 HBA's are now know to UniSphere and can be registered to the correct hostname. Attach this to the shared storage groups and the server was ready.



No comments:

Post a Comment